Wow, spring has hit Bristol this week with lots of sunshine and warm temperatures. My tulips are just about to flower and the Easter holidays are around the corner. What better time to start thinking of how to sweeten up this gorgeous time of year.
One of my mum’s all time classic comes to mind – homemade Advocaat. In the past I had to make this recipe 3-4 weeks in advance as it’s based on evaporated milk , icing sugar, eggs and booze of course. This required the Advocaat to mature in order to achieve its deliciously smooth and thick consistence. Since moving to the UK, however, I’ve discovered the perfect ingredient – condensed milk (the sweetened version). I’ve never gone back to my original recipe as the condensed milk delivers the most smooth and silky result and can be consumed immediately. I still prefer to leave mine for a week though, as it improves the flavour.
The other great thing about this recipe is that you can use your favourite spirit, in my case vodka. It is colourless and doesn’t add any additional flavour, ensuring the eggs and vanilla stand out better. Feel free to experiment and use any spirit you like such as cognac, korn or even rum. Just make sure it’s high in alcohol (40% vol.) as the egg yolks aren’t heated, avoiding any bacteria build up.
As raw egg yolks are used in this recipe, you need to get super fresh, ideally organic and corn feed ones if possible which gives the yolk (and your Acvocaat) a lovely yellow colour.
Once ready, keep your Advocaat in the fridge for a week, giving it a good shake every day. If it becomes too thick, just add a bit more of your preferred spirit and give it another shake. It’s best to store your homemade Advocaat in the fridge and it will easily keep for several month, unless you finish it earlier.
Enjoy my happy bunnies!
Homemade Advocaat Ingredients (makes approx. 1/2l)
Source: Own recipe
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Keeps: 2-3 months
You will also need: 2-3 x 250ml glass bottles with lid (or one large bottle), electric hand whisk or stand mixer
- 6 organic egg yolks (large)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla essence
- 1 can condensed milk (397g UK)
- 350ml vodka (or any other spirit you like)
1. Separate the yolks from the whites and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the vanilla to the yolks and give it a good whisk.
3. Slowly pour in the condensed milk while continuously whisking.
4. Keep on whisking for about 5 minutes until the mixture is all pale and fluffy.
5. Slowly pour in the vodka (or your prefered spirit) while continuously whisking, making sure to turn down your mixer to avoid any splatters.
6. Pour the Advocaat in clean glass bottles, seal and refrigirate for one week, making sure to shake the bottles daily. It’s best to keep it in the fridge so it lasts longer.
No related posts.