When days get shorter and nights longer, I sometimes just don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen making a cake. My sister recommended me to try this super fast apple crumble cake and I couldn’t believe how easy and quick it was.
If you can get hold of ready made apple sauce, like the one sold at Lidl’s, or use apple jam and own a food processor, than this cake will only take 5 minutes in preparation. Otherwise it’s not more than 20 minutes, dependent on how quickly you can peel and chop apples.
This apple crumble cake is ideal for making in advance and freezing when friends pop around unexpectedly. Place it straight from the freezer on an ovenproof dish in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until it has completely defrosted and heated through. The crumbs will be crunchy and everyone will think the apple crumble cake was prepared the same day.
It can be eaten hot or cold but I prefer mine warm with a hint of double cream…
Apple Crumble Cake Ingredients
Source: My sister
Preparation Time: 5 -20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35-45 minutes
You will also need: A 20cm (8 inch) diametar Springform cake tin
For the apple sauce:
2 x 450ml (2 x 17 oz) jars of apple sauce (like Lidl’s “Apfelmus”) OR
- 1kg (35 oz) apples, peeled, quartered and cored (about 5-6 apples)
- 50g (1/4 cup) sugar
- 75ml (2 1/2 fl oz) apple juice or water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- juice of 1 lemon (optional)
Base and Crumbs:
- 250g (2 cups) plain flour
- 100g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 7g of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 125g (1.1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
Apple Crumble Cake Preparation
If you’re using the ready-made apple sauce, skip steps 1-4 and go straight to step 5 to prepare the crumbs.
1. Cut each apple quarter into cubes of four and add together with all the remaining apple sauce ingredients in a pan.
2. Bring to the boil and leave to cook for 5-10 minutes until the apple pieces are soft and the majority of the liquid has evaporated.
3. Liquidise the apples with a hand blender briefly, leaving some chunky apple pieces.
4. Leave on the side to cool.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan oven ( 350°F/325°F fan oven).
6. Line the cake tin with grease proof paper.
7. Place all the crumble ingredients in a food processor and whizz until you have crumbs.
8. Add just over half of the crumbs to the tin and press down evenly with your fingers.
9. Spread the apple sauce with a spoon and sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top.
10. Place in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown or a skewer comes out clean without any dough sticking to it.
11. Remove the cake tin and serve warm or cold.
Tip: If the crumbs become soft, heat up the apple crumble cake in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 200°C (400°F).
Tip: You can freeze the cake for up to two month after it has completely cooled down.
Keeps for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Go on, see how quickly you can make it!
- Super fast Apple Crumble (vanillaandsaffron.wordpress.com)
- Damson Plum Cake Crumble
- Quince and apple crumble recipe (telegraph.co.uk)